The Chicago Style Hot Dog is an untouchable favorite with its abundance of fresh ad delicious ingredients, this recipe is sure to please all hotdog lovers!
Classic Chicago Dog Recipe
- 8 Hotdogs (Use all beef hotdogs for best results)
- 8 Hotdog buns, Poppy seed buns if you want to be authentic.
- 8 teaspooons Chicago style relish
- 8 Kosher dill pickle spears
- 1 Peppercini or banana peppers, sliced. (Use sport peppers to be authentic)
- 1/2 Diced white onion
- 1 Tomato cut into 8 wedges
- 8 teaspoons yellow mustard
Preheat your grill, such as the Yoder Smokers YS640 pellet cooker with GrillGrate inserts, to 350°. While the grill is heating up, take some time and slice up your tomato wedges and dice the white onion. Be sure and use a good knife such as the Victorinox 8″ Chef’s Knife to cut the veggies. There is nothing worse that mangling a tomato with a dull knife!
Place the hotdogs on the grill. Make sure and watch them closely as they tend to cook very quick. Turn them a quarter turn as they brown, and as soon as they’ve taken on the color you want, they’re good to go!
Build the hotdog from the bottom up. We layered Chicago style relish and yellow mustard first, then placed our all beef hot dog in place. Stack the tomatoes, sport peppers, onions, and pickle slice and you’re ready to go!