- By Tom Jackson
- Oct 21, 2022
Chef Tom fires up the Yoder Smokers Wood-Fired Oven for Hawaiian Pizza! Get stoked for a Spam, pineapple & jalapeño loaded pizza that cooks in under four minutes on the pellet grill!
Yields 4 pizzas
- 1 (28 oz) can Ciao San Marzano Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 3-4 large cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp Jacobsen Salt Co. Black Garlic Infused Seas Salt
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp Colonial Chile Oil
- 650g (2 cup 14 tbsp) warm water (110ºF)
- 10g (1 tbsp) Caputo Dry Yeast
- 1000g (6 1/2 cup) Antimo Caputo “00” Pizza Flour
- 20g (2 tbsp) Jacobsen Kosher Sea Salt
- 2 cans Spam, sliced 1/2” thick
- 1 large whole pineapple, sliced 1/2” thick slabs, spiny exterior removed
- 1 lb low moisture mozzarella
- Jalapeños, thin sliced, as desired
- Reida Farm Hot Pepper Honey, for garnish
- Green onions, sliced, for garnish
To make the dough, pour the warm water into the bowl of a stand mixer. Sprinkle the yeast over the water. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes. Add the flour, then the salt. With the mixer fitted with the hook attachment, mix on medium-low (2nd gear on the KitchenAid) until a ball is formed, about 1 minute. Once all ingredients are incorporated and a ball is formed, mix an additional 8 minutes. Transfer to an oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled in size. Turn out onto a floured surface and divide into 4 equal portions. Roll each half into a ball, place in an oiled container. Cover. Refrigerate at least half an hour before use.
Fire up the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill with the Yoder Smokers Wood-Fired Oven installed. Set the temperature to 600ºF. Let preheat about 30 minutes.
Place a Lodge 10” Cast Iron Skillet on top of the wood-fired oven to preheat. Place a Lodge 15.5”x10.5” Baking Pan inside the wood-fired oven to preheat. Let these pans preheat for 5-10 minutes.
Combine all ingredients for the pizza sauce in a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer from the blender to the Lodge 10” Skillet on top of the wood-fired oven. Cook until reduced to desired consistency, about 15 minutes.
While the sauce cooks, sear the sliced spam and pineapple inside the oven on the lodge baking pan. Cook just until caramelized and crisped on each side, then remove and dice.
On a floured work surface, stretch the dough thin, about 12” in diameter. Place on a well floured pizza peel.
| You might also enjoy: Pork Tenderloin Pineapple Bowls
Build the pizza on the peel. Start by spreading your pizza sauce over the dough. Sprinkle the grated mozzarella over the sauce, then the diced spam and pineapple over the cheese. Top with thin sliced jalapeño rounds.
Launch the pizza onto the baking stone inside the wood fired oven, using the pizza peel.
| You might also enjoy: Buffalo Chicken Pizza
Let the pizza cook for about two minutes, then pull it out of the oven with the peel, spin to brown evenly and place back in the oven. Continue cooking until bottom is crisped and shows dark spots, the edges of the crust are well browned and the cheese is melted and browned on top, about 3.5 - 4.5 minutes total. Remove from the oven.
Serve the Hawaiian Pizza topped with sliced green onions and a drizzle of hot honey.
Purchase Items in this Recipe
- BBQr's Delight Wood Pellets, 20lb BagAs low as
- Yoder Smokers Wood Fired Oven, YS480 and YS640$499.00
- Lodge 10" Cast Iron Skillet$24.95