Smoked Pork Belly Ramen Recipe
For the broth:
- 1.5-2 lb smoked ham hock
- 2 yellow onions, roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, white parts only, sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro stems
- 1/3 cup fresh ginger, skin on, chopped
- 1/3 cup garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 2 tsp Chinese 5 spice
- 6 quarts cold water
For the belly:
- 2 lb pork belly, skin off
- 1/3 cup fresh ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 tbsp Chinese 5 spice
- Kim’s Gourmet Asian BBQ Sauce
For the bowl:
- 10 oz ramen wheat noodles
- 2 carrots, julienned (match sticks)
- 2 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro, leaves only
- 1 bunch green onions, green parts only, sliced
- soft-boiled eggs, halved just before serving
- nori seaweed
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640 to 275°F. Combine the belly rub ingredients (ginger, garlic, salt and Chinese 5 spice) in a small bowl and mix well. Rub a thin layer of soy sauce on all side of the belly, then distribute the rub evenly over the surface of the belly.
Smoke until the belly is a nice dark red/mahogany color (2-3 hours). Wrap the belly in foil. Return to cooker, increasing the temperature to 325°F. Continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 205°F.
Open the foil and brush on a good layer of Kim’s Gourmet Asian BBQ Sauce. Cook 10 minutes longer. Remove from cooker. Rest 10 minutes before slicing.
While the belly is cooking, combine all ingredients for the broth in a stock pot. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce the heat, but maintain a simmer. Cook until the volume is reduced by about one third (1+ hour).
This recipe was prepared on a Yoder Smokers YS640 Pellet Grill.
Using a cheesecloth lined strainer over a large bowl or other container, strain the solids from the broth. Discard the solids. Rinse your pot, and return the broth to the heat (medium). You’ll need to add salt. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Make sure the broth is very hot, not quite simmering.
Cook the ramen wheat noodles according to the manufacturers instructions.
Build your bowls. Place a small amount of the julienned carrots and sliced mushrooms in the bottom of the bowl. Top with some ramen, sliced pork belly, cilantro and green onions. Ladle the hot broth over the top to fill the bowl. Serve hot.