Chinese Barbecue Pork Char Siu
- By Tom Jackson
- Jul 14, 2020
Chef Tom fires up the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill for Chinese Barbecue Pork Char Siu. Smoky, sweet, salty & savory, this one checks all the boxes!
Chinese Barbecue Pork (Char Siu) Recipe
- 5 lb pork butt (or belly)
- Plowboys BBQ Yardbird Rub
For the marinade/glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups Kim’s Asian BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup Reida Farm Red Pepper Honey, DIVIDED
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 1/2 cup Fermented Red Bean Curd (tofu cubes & sauce)
- 2 tsp Chinese five spice
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1/4 cup garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup ginger, minced
Combine all marinade ingredients in the Vitamix Blender. Add only 3/4 cup of the Reida Farm Red Pepper Honey. Save the remaining 1/4 cup for later. Blend until smooth.
Reserve one cup of the marinade. Store in the refrigerator. Pour the remaining marinade into an 8 quart Briner Bucket.
Cut the pork into 3” thick strips and place in the Briner Bucket with the marinade. Let soak overnight.
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 350ºF, set up for indirect grilling.
Remove the pork from the marinade. Wipe off excess marinade from the surface of the pork.
Season the pork on all sides with Plowboys BBQ Yardbird Rub.
Roast the pork on the second shelf of the grill for one hour.
After one hour, mix your one cup of reserved marinade with the remaining 1/4cup of Reida Farm Red Pepper Honey. Whisk well to combine. Using a silicon brush, baste the pork with the glaze.
You might also enjoy: Filipino BBQ Pork
Repeat the glazing every 30 minutes until the pork has reached an internal temperature of 195ºF (total cook time: about 2-2.5 hours).
Remove from the grill. Rest the Char Siu 15 minutes before slicing to serve.
Purchase Items in this Recipe
- Shun Classic 6" Boning/Fillet Knife$139.95
- The Briner BucketsAs low as
- All Things Barbecue Black T-ShirtsAs low as
- Vitamix A2500 Ascent Series BlenderAs low as