Chicken Pot Pie
- By Tom Jackson
- Mar 12, 2021
- BBQr's Delight Wood Pellets, 20lb BagAs low as
- Hestan Cue Smart Countertop Induction Burner Cooktop$299.00
Chef Tom fires up the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill for the comfort food classic, Chicken Pot Pie, featuring spatchcock smoked chicken and a scratch-made cheddar pie crust.
Chicken Pot Pie
Yield: 10 servings
- 1 whole chicken
- R Butts R Smokin’ Butt Kick'n Chicken Rub
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp Saica Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup sweet potatoes
- Cattleman’s Grill Trail Dust AP Seasoning
- 2 tbsp chipotles in adobo, minced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 1-2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cup baby red potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 1 egg, whisked
For the Cheddar Pie Dough:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, frozen
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Jacobsen Salt Co. Black Garlic Infused Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Jacobsen Salt Co. Tellicherry Black Peppercorns, fresh ground
- 1/4 cup ice-cold water
- 1/2 cup white cheddar, grated
Using poultry shears, cut along each side of the chicken’s backbone to remove the backbone from the rest of the bird. Discard, or save for chicken stock. Loosen the skin from the chicken, but do not remove.
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 325ºF.
Lay the spatchcock chicken flat on a parchment or foil lined sheet pan. Apply R Butts R Smokin’ Butt Kick’n Chicken BBQ Rub all over, on and especially under the skin of the chicken. Lay the bird, breast side up on the pan.
Place the pan on the second shelf of the grill. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 155ºF-160ºF in the center of the breasts, about 90 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the grill. Increase the grill temperature to 425ºF. When the chicken has slightly cooled, remove all skin, pull the meat from the bones and shred the meat. Incorporate any remaining cooking juices from the pan.
To make the pie dough, grate the frozen butter with a box grater. Place in the bowl of a stand mixer with the flour. Toss to coat the butter with the flour. Add the salt and pepper and mix on second speed with the paddle attachment. Slowly add the ice-cold water to while mixing. Add the cheddar and mix just until the dough starts to come together. Remove from bowl and press together into a 3/4” thick disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and rest in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
You might also enjoy: Spatchcock BBQ Chicken
Preheat a Lodge 12” Cast Iron Skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and Saica Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil. When the butter is melted, add the onions, carrots, sweet potatoes and season with Cattleman’s Grill Trail Dust AP Seasoning. Sweat the veggies over medium-low heat until softened, about 10-15 minutes.
Add the chipotles, garlic and flour and cook for a couple of minutes longer, stirring frequently. Continue stirring as you slowly add the half and half, then the chicken stock. Add the red potatoes, frozen corn, frozen pearl onion and 4 cups of shredded chicken.
Roll out the pie dough to the width of the skillet. Place over the filling. Trim the edges to fit the skillet. Slice vents into the top of the dough. Brush the dough with whisked egg.
Bake on the second shelf of the grill until golden brown and bubbling, about 45-60 minutes. Add a sheet of foil or pan to the main cooking grate to catch any dripping filling.
Purchase Items in this Recipe
- R Butts R Smokin' Butt Kick'n Chicken BBQ RubAs low as
- Chef Works Bronx Bib Apron$39.99
- Shun Kanso 8" Chef's Knife$129.95Special Price